Ingestion of concerning substances is an emergency in many cases. If your pet has just ingested a substance of concern, check with your veterinarian, emergency clinic or poison control before encouraging your pet to vomit. Some substances are caustic and can damage the esophagus if pets vomit them. Once the substance is determined, inducing vomiting and administering an adsorbing agent may often be very helpful. Substances like antifreeze, rat poison, snail bait, marijuana, chocolate and prescription drugs should be removed from the stomach by your veterinarian and an agent like charcoal given to help decrease absorption of the active ingredient and the severity of damage.
When in doubt call your veterinarian or ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at Phone Number: (888) 426-4435 or https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control.