Foods to Avoid

foods to avoid.jpeg

Many of our routine foods are dangerous for our pets. Most significant is the substance xylitol that is a low calorie sweetener. This additive causes a significant release of insulin in pets and can cause a life threatening low blood sugar and liver failure. Xylitol is in many products including candy, gum, baked goods, toothpaste and mouthwash. If your pet has ingested xylitol be sure to contact your veterinarian or an emergency clinic particularly if your pet is lethargic or vomiting. Other foods to avoid for your pet include chocolate, caffeine, avocado, raisins and grapes, macadamia nuts, onion, garlic and chives. Signs vary based on how much your pet ingests. The ASPCA web site is a great resource of the clinical signs you might see with these foods if ingested.