Financial Assistance Grant Application
BirchBark is currently on a granting hiatus. Please go to our resource page to review alternative options for your pet.
Your application WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED if you & all adult members of your household:
Are a resident(s) of Monterey or Santa Cruz counties;
Are at or below 250% of the federal poverty level;
Email 3 months of bank statements;
Email additional proof of financial need;
Email Proof of Care Credit approval/denial;
Email pictures of the pet who is in need.
Called the Help Line: (831) 471-7912 and email firstname.lastname@example.org upon submission of the below application.
The following criteria is mandatory to apply for BirchBark Foundation funding:
- BirchBark Foundation is only able to grant assistance to cases treated at one of our Associate Member Hospitals for a life-threatening or life compromising situation with a good prognosis. We do not fund routine care.
- BirchBark does not provide any funding for medical services that have already been rendered. A grant application does not guarantee funding. Your application and treatment estimates must be approved for funding by our review board prior to the animal receiving the applied for treatment.
- If approved, BirchBark provides funding for up to 50% of the bill and Associate Member hospitals discount 25% from their services. The owner will have to use the entire amount of Care Credit towards the pet's treatment. The owner and hospital must come to a payment agreement for the client's portion of the bill.
- All animals that receive BirchBark funding must be spayed or neutered. If an animal is not spayed/neutered at the time funding is given, the owner will agree to have their animal sterilized within a set time frame determined by the treating veterinarian (based on the health of the animal).
- All recipients of BirchBark funding agree to allow BirchBark to use their story, photos and video. BirchBark requests that owners provide photographs of their pets to the BirchBark Foundation. BirchBark will send a representative to take photos and write up your story for our donors to learn about the successful outcome for your pet.
- Recipients are asked to do whatever possible to help BirchBark save other family pets. This includes sending an e-mail to family and friends, volunteering when possible and participating in special events.
I have read and agree to the grant qualifications. By submitting this application, I agree that it has been completed in good faith. I understand that incomplete applications and/or the submission of false information may result in my application being denied.
Once your application, financial information, and treatment estimates are received, BirchBark representatives will review the application and request any additional information that is needed.
Next, the application will be forwarded to the BirchBark veterinary review board and grants committee where it will be considered based on criteria including, but not limited to, the following:
- Treatment must be for a life-threatening condition.
- Prognosis of the patient must be good to excellent.
- Owner’s financial hardship and capability of caring for the pet post op.
- BirchBark will do its best to render a response within 3 hours of submitting an application to our granting committee.
*Do NOT refresh the page as you are working, it does NOT save as you go!*
Once you click submit, please call the Help Line to notify BirchBark of your incoming documents.
You MUST email picture of your pet, financial documents, treatment plan and estimates to email@example.com
Your application is NOT CONSIDERED complete until we receive ALL additional attached documents.